Temporary files are files created by computer programs on a computer to hold data while a permanent file is being written.
The reason you need to delete temp files is that they take up space, and this results to slow down your computer. In this tutorial, I will show you how to delete temp files manually or using the software.
Temp files can be identified with the extension TMP and they are located in this folder on your computer: C:UsersAppDataLocalTemp folder.
6 Methods To Delete Temp Files on Your Computer
Method 1: Delete temp files through the local disk C
- Go to File Explorer on your computer, you can do that by using the shortcut WIN + E
- Locate Local Disk C
- Click on Users to find choose the logged-in user
- Find the Folder with the name AppData then open it
- Locate the Temp folder, open it and delete all files inside it
Method 2: Set up a shortcut
- Right-click on your Desktop screen and select New from the list
- Select Shortcut.
3. Enter the following text: %SystemRoot%System32Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 &Cleanmgr /sagerun:6553
4. Click Next and name your new shortcut.
5. Right-click on the shortcut that’s just created on your Desktop and select Run as Administrator.
6. Select all the file types to delete, including several types of temporary files.
7. Click OK to delete your selected file types.
Method 3: Delete Temp files using %temp% to search for the folder
- Right-click on the window icon and select Run or press the shortcut WIN + R
- Enter the following text: %temp%
3. Click okay, it will bring a folder with temp files and folders
4. Highlight all and delete them
5. Go to recycle bin, empty it
Method 4: Delete Temp files through Disk Cleanup
Step 1. Click in the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup
2. Select Disk Cleanup.
3. Select the files you want to delete or select all, and then select OK to delete them.
Method 5: Delete Temp files using command prompt
- Press Windows key + R.
- Type cmd into the search box and press Enter.
- Then it shows the command prompt page then enter this text: C:UsersjonfiAppDataLocalTemp” /s /q
4. Press Enter
Method 6: delete temp files using AVG TuneUp software
You can delete Temp files by using Apps like AVG TuneUp and some other software
How to delete Temp files on browsers
Browsers stored a lot of temporary files like websites caches, cookies, and history. You can d delete these temp files with the following steps, I will use the chrome browser for practical:
- Open the Chrome browser
- Locate three dots(…) at the upper-right corner and click on them.
- Select History, then History again, or press CTR + H.
4. Select all the History and delete them.